Friday, January 31, 2014

The "Dusting" of 2014


A crisis is an unexpected situation or event. Every organization is vulnerable to crisis. Adequate internal and external communication plans are necessary to control the damage that is done and respond accordingly. Good leadership should anticipate crisis before it hits. Be prepared to tell it all and tell it fast. Crisis communication planning can help you deal with those unexpected events that may cause unfavorable publicity for your organization.

Let’s discuss the most recent crisis that the southeast was presented with on Tuesday January 28, 2014. The forecast called for a “dusting” of snow for central Alabama. Schools and businesses remained opened because the weather did not present a threat to the community. Much of the weather impact was expected south of Birmingham. The predicted “dusting” turned into a serious snow storm leaving thousands of motorist stranded and separated from their families. Schools closed in the middle of the storm. Buses tried to run, but were quickly turned around when they dangerously slid off the roads. Many children were stranded at schools overnight.

I personally was in the middle of this disaster. I was at work when the announcement was made that the schools would be dismissed. In the back of my mind was the word “dusting”. How bad could it be? With three children in three different schools, there was no way I was going to be able to sit through three car pool lines. I quickly informed the schools to send the kids home on the bus. As I got in my car, I could not believe the lines of cars trying to get out. It took 30 minutes for me to get out of the parking deck. I started to realize that this was more that a “dusting” when I finally made it to the road and my tires began to spin each time I hit the gas. Then I received a text from a co-worker advising that there was a 17 car pile-up on the parkway. The snow on the ground quickly turned in to a blanket of ice on the roads.

As I began to panic at the thought of the kids on the bus, I receive a phone call from my 12 year old daughter telling me that she was okay but her bus ran off the road and they turned around and went back to the schools. Then I received an automated call from the schools advising that the buses would not be running due to the dangerous driving conditions.  Once I knew that the kids were safe, I turned my car around and went back into work. I knew that if I tried to drive in that madness, I would crash my car and possibly get hurt. When I returned to my desk there was a corporate email stating that the company will remain open as a shelter for as long as needed. My manager announced for everyone to do what they felt necessary to do with their safety in mind. Then there was an announcement over the intercom system stating that the cars on the top deck should move because of the snow accumulation. I could not believe that I was about to spend the night at the office. Luckily, my co-worker convinced me to hike two-miles to one of her friend’s house and we camped out there. My husband was able to retrieve the kids and everyone was safe. A total of 1100 people were stranded at my place of employment.

 
News reports showed thousands of cars crashed and abandoned along the highways. People were walking the streets in the freezing snow. Many slept in their cars overnight in subzero temperatures. Five people have been killed as a result of the storm, according to a report from Governor Robert Bentley's office. A Birmingham woman who crashed her car died in Perry County, a Wetumpka man and a 2-year old died in Elmore, and a train wreck killed two in Tuscaloosa. Many others were injured as a result of traffic accidents. Everyone was left wondering how the weather forecasters got it so wrong? Local meteorologists were beginning to receive negative comments from the public on social media sites such as twitter and face book.

A crisis communication plan was necessary for the news stations, schools and many organizations. Each had to react just as quickly as the snow hit the ground. The safety of the people was the first priority. News stations needed to report the facts against their inaccurate weather forecast and report it to the public using many mediums of communication. A news report was issued by the meteorologist, the website was updated, social media reports were made, and the information was broadcasted on the radio. Government official declared a state of emergency and called in reinforcement from the National Guard. Schools needed to advise the teachers what issues they were faced with, and then contact parents to advise that the schools were closing. Organizations relayed the conditions to their employees and quickly made accommodations for their employees.  

Once safety has been restored, the media had to face the public and face the facts. Local meteorologist, James Spann, issued a public apology for his forecast “bust” on his blog. He took the blame for his mistake, showed empathy for the people involved and tried to explain how this disaster happened. He kept a positive tone. He advised that he will be reviewing the situation over the coming weeks.

News reports focused on the positives that occurred as a result of the crisis. Many reports were of people helping people in a time of need. One popular report was of Doctor Zenko Hrynkiw who walked six miles in the snow to perform emergency life-saving brain surgery. Another is of baby Wynter Dobbins who was born at home because the ambulance could not get to her because it had crashed.

All of this could have been avoided with the right call on the weather forecast. After it is all said and done, everyone involved should reflect on what went right and what went wrong. Learn from the mistakes and make revisions where needed to better prepare for the next crisis. Take corrective action to prevent the crisis from ever happening again.

No comments:

Post a Comment